Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru Magnum
When Martine saw a barrow load of bottles wheeled into the kitchen, she stood still. She touched the bottles and lifted one up. “What is there in this bottle, Babette?” she asked in a low voice. “Not wine?” “Wine, Madame!” Babette answered “No, Madame. It is a Clos de Vougeot 1846!” Karen Blixen, in Babette’s Feast, has captured the essence of Clos de Vougeot. It is not just a wine, but an emotion, a presence, an event... .
Please note that this is an imported wine and cannot legally be shipped to GA, IA, IL, IN, LA, ME, MI, MO, MT, SD, VA or WV.Vintage Notes:
Vineyard news: Ullage planted out. Earthing-up of the vines in winter. Spraying of nettle and rhubarb, horsetail, yarrow, tansy, comfrey tea during each treatment. Biodynamic preparation of 500 and 501 at the end of the winter and of 501 in spring before the flower. Suckers removed in spring.
Meats & Fish:Chicken Bearnaise w/Mushroom; Pork Chops with Lemon SeasoningCheese & Nuts:Medium cheeses. Goat cheeseSauces:Rich Mushroom Sauce
- Varietal: 100% Pinot Noir
Harvest Date: September 5th, 2018 (flower day)
- Yield: 46.5 hl/ha
- 70% of whole grapes, not crushed and vatted by gravitaty
- No yeast addition. Gravity vated
- Maceration: pre-fermentation, cold (12-15°C) for 5 days
- Length of maceration: 18 days
- Light pumping-over until the end of the vatting time
- Pressing with the vertical press
Aging: 18 months in oak barrels
- 35% new
- Toasting: Long and slow.
- Source of wood:Cher, Tronçais and Citeaux
- Light and soft filtration. No fining
Bottling: February 6th, 10th and 12th 2020 (flower, fruit and days)
- Limited to 6875 bottles, 600 magnums, 80 jeroboams